Tuesday, April 7, 2009

Field Experience (3)

On Monday I finished my observation for field experience. The school where I observed is very neat, clean, and welcoming, from the front of the grounds all the way into the classrooms. When I arrived I was greeted by the teacher and the assistant and had a seat in the classroom. The class where I observed was an upper middle school special education classroom. There was one teacher and 1 assistant who work in that room throughout the day.

I worked with a few of the children while I was there on some general goals covering what they need to accomplish for this period. The teacher explained to me how they know what to teach, since it's not a typical classroom and went on to explain some of the goals of the students to me. There is a curriculum called the North Carolina Extended Content Standards, that parallels the curriculum used in typical classrooms. The information covered in the curriculum prepares the students for the Extend 1 (a modified EOG) test that the students must take every year. There were ten students in the class that day.

I enjoyed my time with this class and it was not much different from typical 6-9th grade classes. The assistive technology the students have makes it possible to participate in a variety of activities.

No comments:

Post a Comment