Tuesday, April 21, 2009

Module 12

Even though I am already in a classroom, I feel like this class was very helpful. I enjoyed the textbook and thought it contained a lot of useful information. I will definitely continue teaching, hopefully for many years to come. Keeping up with the demands of teaching, while difficult at times, is possible and I think I have learned many things this semester that will help me better meet these demands in the coming years. Some of the demands, figuring out each student’s learning style, caring for each student as an individual, and meeting curricular needs are not things that will probably ever change. There are other demands that will change with the passage of legislation like NCLB and we will have to adapt when that comes along. The role of the teacher is very complex and it’s not until you’re in a classroom with 25 sets of eyes staring at you that you will be able to understand how complex it is. Being a good teacher and being a good student are related in several ways. Both require attention to detail, dedication, organization, and follow-through. Both can also be very rewarding. As a student, a good grade on a test or the completion of a project makes you feel proud; while as a teacher, seeing a student who was struggling with a concept finally get it, or seeing a project a student worked so hard on, are both rewarding.

1 comment:

  1. I like what you said about not realizing how complex it is until you have 25 sets of eyes on you. I guess that is one reality will really set in, and you will find out if you were as prepared as you thought.

    ReplyDelete