Sunday, March 29, 2009

Field Experience Observation (2)

March 18, 2009
Today was my second day of observation for my field experience. Back in the second grade classroom in Romania. Today was a little different, graded reading had to be done today and there was a math test. In addition, the kids had Romanian lessons and an art class in the afternoon. With the reading grade and the math test both in the morning the teacher has developed a system for accomplishing both things and still making time for the special afternoon activities. She did the language lesson first so the students could do their language papers and study for their math test while the graded reading took place. After the graded reading, the teacher checked over the language papers and made sure everyone was using their time well. Then it was time for the math test. As the students finished the written math test they came up one at a time to do the oral part of the test. While it was a test, the atmosphere in the classroom was very relaxed and the students didn’t appear too stressed about it. There was no talk either day of the standardized testing coming up at the end of the month. Maybe because it’s in a foreign country and the teachers’ jobs aren’t on the line, no one appeared to be worried about the testing. English is at least the second language for these students and sometimes the third or fourth. The test that they take is something like what homeschooled students would take to ensure they are learning, I think. I administered the test when I was teaching at this particular school and it, in my opinion, closely resembles the EOG tests the students in NC take. I had a fantastic time observing in this class and I hope that my other observation goes as well.

No comments:

Post a Comment