Tuesday, March 24, 2009

Module 8 (Make up work)

Most of my scores on the inventory were close together. I scored 18 for Essentialism, 16 for Perennialism, 20 for Progressivism, 19 for Social Reconstruction, and 16 for Existentialism. I like the idea of having a curriculum because I like to know what needs to be accomplished, but I don’t like the idea of children sitting in desks becoming robots. Before answering the questions in the inventory, my idea of an ideal school setting is a Montessori type setting and my highest score was Progressivism. Our book describes a progressive classroom as one where the children are “working in small groups, moving about and talking freely.” I feel that rules and manners are important for children to learn, but I think they can learn them by example. There are skills that are essential for children to learn/master, but I feel that these things can be learned through experiences rather than through worksheets. I learn best when I am interested in a subject and I feel that children learn best this way too. If children are interested in dinosaurs, let them learn math and reading with dinosaurs.

I want my classroom to be a safe, nurturing environment where all the children feel accepted and free to try things out. I don’t want children to be afraid to try new things because they are afraid to fail. I also want children to learn to take responsibility for themselves, their belongings, and their work. I want children to try their best and take pride in what they do.

1 comment:

  1. I would like my classroom to be active too. Children sitting at a desk doing work sheets to me will not benefit children. Children learn better when they are interacting with each other.

    ReplyDelete