Wednesday, March 11, 2009

Module 7

Two Topics:

KKK Wizard Honored (Teachers, Schools, and Society pg. 287)

I chose this topic because I was amazed when I read that there is a school named after the first grand wizard of the Ku Klux Klan. Naming schools after people in history is not an uncommon occurrence and I guess everyone could find some way to object to every person, but I found this appalling. I found a lot of information when I went on to research this school and the debate regarding its name. Some of the websites are clearly one person’s opinion and may have no merit at all, so I have included four websites to post with this topic.
1)
http://Lawreview.law.pitt.edu/issues/66/66.1/Epperson.pdf (Page 132)

I chose this article because, although it may still be biased, it was published by a reputable school and it made good points. It made a good point about the African American children who must attend this school and how such a name for the school alienates the children from the moment they step into the building.

2)
www.al.com/news/birminghamnews/metro.ssf?/base/news/1223799323175680.xml&coll=2

I chose this article because it was also from a published source and it discussed the trend of NOT naming schools after historic figures, but instead naming buildings or athletic fields after the person.

3)
www.csmonitor.com/2004/0122/p01s03-ussc.html

I chose to include this article mainly because the location given for the article is Raleigh, NC. Its message is more regarding the differences in thinking among residents of the south.



Mexican American (Teachers, Schools, and Society pg. 290)

I chose this topic because I am a teacher in Raleigh and 80 percent of my class is Mexican American. That same 80 percent did not speak a word of English when the year began in September. The text also states that North Carolina is among the states with the highest numbers of Mexican Americans in their rural sections.
1)
http://www.allacademic.com//meta/p_mla_apa_research_citation /1/0/4/4/6/pages104460/p104460 -1.php

I chose this article because it address the drop out rates of Mexican Americans compared to other races.

2)
http://www.albany.edu/jmmh/vol3/chicano/chicano.html

I chose this article because it is a detailed summary of a video made regarding The Mexican American Civil Rights Movement, including edcuation.




Also. . . please note. . . I will be out of the country from Friday, March 13 until Monday, March 23. I will post an entry to my blog on the Romanian education system on Monday, March 23. Per Dr. Hart's request, please check my blog after Monday to read my entry. I will also be posting a blog entry regarding Module 8 when I return. THANKS!!!

2 comments:

  1. I am in total shock as to what you said about the school named after the KKK. I thought people only named schools or businesses after important positive groups or people. Im so glad you did the reasearch for us to tell us about this.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I could not believe that a school system would allow a school to be named after someone who was apart of a hate group. Schools should promote positive role models, not negative ones. You have a great blog, thanks for the information.

    ReplyDelete